Thursday, August 16, 2012

Holy Castlist Batman!

Thursday, August 16, 2012
Back by popular demand....





....that may be a demand of 2 people, but it's more than zero....





...the story to top all stories....





....a tale of courage, valor, and heaps of dry humping....




Let me set the scene:

My friend lil bit (name change to protect the semi-innocent) and I were out exploring Chicago with the plan of stopping by her work and finding a dance studio to sign up for classes. In the process of completing those two tasks, we got to explore the city and find even more reasons why we love living here. We found a restaurant called "Killer Margaritas" with the largest single serving of margarita I have ever seen. We also randomly ran into a farmers market and bought some organic berries and one gotdamn good chocolate muffin.

During our adventures on one beautifully perfect day outside, we started talking about how lucky we were to finally be here. How after all we put up with and how hard we worked, we finally made it. And we keep finding little things about the city that no one tells you about but are absolutely brilliant.

We then found out that Improv Olympic had a free performance of "The Herald" at 8pm, so we stopped by a diner that is right next to it to grab some drinks. Lil bit went to the restroom, and I just checked my phone with the texting, and the facespace, and the e-mails.

And then I happened to come across the e-mail. The e-mail I wasn't expecting. The e-mail from the show that I did well on, but never thought it would happen. The e-mail I've been working my ass off for for the past 4 weeks.

I was offered a role for a show for February-March. 21 performances. With pay.

I know it's a very cliche moment when something major happens in your life and then "time just stops". It's cheesy and corny and all that shit, but it's so damn true. I just stared at my phone while everything around me just froze. It could have been that I was so focused on the e-mail that I just zoned out, or that I was trying to hard not to start bawling in the middle of this diner, so I don't know. But my heart just stopped. I just stopped.

And then lil bit came back to me hunched over the table. I looked up and told her the news. It felt like I was in 4th grade again getting cast in my first show. I didn't know what it meant, but it felt like I won something. The words just came out of my mouth, "I was cast in my first Chicago show", words that I never knew when I would say or if I ever would say. Then of course I just started bawling, and lil bit started bawling. Here we are, sitting in Wrigleyville, surrounded by drunken Cubs fans and girls with their cooters falling out, and we are just crying. It was a snapshot worthy moment.

So, after the crying stopped, I of course had to call my mother. To hear her happy dance as she heard the news made me start crying again. You get the idea. I was a hot mess. And we still had a show to see!

So, lil bit and I ended our great Chicago adventure day watching The Herald at Io for free. We were sitting in the theatre, waiting for the show to start, and I had one of those JD from Scrubs moments. I sat there and just took in that moment with my random thoughts: The day had been absolutely brilliant. I am so thankful for the kind words from my friends and family; the random calls and texts throughout the night were so nice. And of course, my family here are amazing and helped me celebrate as well. And my final thought: I can now say that I am a working, paid actor. And after all the time and hard work I put in, I accomplished that within a month. Damn, if I can do it, anyone can do it!

Thus was my first time being cast in a Chicago show. I can check that off my list of firsts. I can't wait to start rehearsing and meeting everyone! But, until then, I have to keep working, hitting the grind, pounding the meat, that sort of thing. It's a never ending job, but I love it with all my heart and soul and vagina.

2 comments:

zappanut said...

Congratulations, Christina! I never had any doubt that you could make it...Knock 'em dead!

James Worley

Unknown said...

Awesomesauce!

Post a Comment

 
◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger TemplatesBlogger Blog Templates;