Sunday, August 26, 2012

It's the Chicago Monthaversary celebration!

Sunday, August 26, 2012
Happy monthaversary, Chicago! I've officially been a Chicago-er for one month this weekend, and it's been swell. I can't say it enough, I absolutely love it here. I feel like this month has been a full year with the amount of work I've done, people I've met, places I've been, etc.

So, what I thought I would do is make a list of what I've learned thus far, theatre wise and just normal life wise. Some of it may be common sense, but sometimes I have quite a few brain fart moments. Just bear with me. And hey, maybe you will learn something.

Christina's Monthaversary List of Chicagoy Things She's Learned Thus Far!
  1. Google maps is like a teenaged girl in this city, especially downtown. Either that, or Google enjoys fucking with you and saying you're downtown, when really you're in Harlem. Not cool, Google. Not. Cool.
  2. I know everyone knows headshots and resumes are important, but seriously guys, they are your everything. It's like your handshake. They start judging you even before you walk in to audition when you e-mail them to even ask permission to audition. And you will spend countless hours printing, cutting, pasting, and flirting with the guy at Walgreens to give you a discount.
  3. You know how in Texas it's so gotdamn hot all the time, so you'll wear short shorts and tank tops and short dresses to stay cool? It's the Texas way! Well, apparently in Chicago, wearing short shorts/dresses/tops makes you a hooker. But a cute looking hooker.
  4. Don't talk to the homeless people. Just don't. I feel for them, I really do, but talking to them or encouraging them just causes problems. Random things homeless people have said to me range from "I wanna be yo baby daddy" to "White devil bitch".
  5. But, for the most part, people in Chicago are super nice. Seriously, I've met so many new and interesting people who are willing to lend you a hand without any questions.
  6. If you're a drinker, find you a small/cheap/awesome bar like McClaren's in How I Met Your Mother as fast as you can. Especially one with a kickass bartender. Because there will be days when you just need a cheap beer and a Helen Keller joke.
  7. The Chicago theatre world isn't as big as you may think. I met a guy at one of my callbacks who knew a fellow actor in Lubbock. It's super crazy yet amazing!
  8. Looking on Craigslist for acting gigs is like buying 1/2 price milk on the day that it expired. It could be perfectly fine (like the time I found a free acting class with professional working actors) or it could be expired and smelly and chunky (like the yoga instructor story...ask me about it later).
  9. No matter what time of day, you never ever ever ever ever talk or be happy or even look pleased on the bus/train. You find your corner seat, put your headphones in, and don't make eye contact with anyone. It is the most miserable place in all of Chicago.
  10. Chicago sells liquor on Sundays, which makes it eleventy bajillion times cooler than Lubbock.
And, there you have it. My list of things I have learned thus far. It's been an experience, but I've gained a shitton of experience, especially within the past month. I hoped you learned something from reading this, as well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger TemplatesBlogger Blog Templates;